|
Twitter
|
Facebook
|
Google+
|
VKontakte
|
LinkedIn
|
Viadeo
|
English
|
Français
|
Español
|
العربية
|
 
International Journal of Innovation and Applied Studies
ISSN: 2028-9324     CODEN: IJIABO     OCLC Number: 828807274     ZDB-ID: 2703985-7
 
 
Saturday 26 September 2020

About IJIAS

News

Submission

Downloads

Archives

Custom Search

Contact

Connect with IJIAS

  Now IJIAS is indexed in EBSCO, ResearchGate, ProQuest, Chemical Abstracts Service, Index Copernicus, IET Inspec Direct, Ulrichs Web, Google Scholar, CAS Abstracts, J-Gate, UDL Library, CiteSeerX, WorldCat, Scirus, Research Bible and getCited, etc.  
 
 
 

In Press: Household Food Consumption Profile of Maize Farmers in Rural Areas: Burkina Faso’s Hauts-Bassins Region Case



                 

Michel Kéré1, Vinsoun Millogo2, Benjamin Schwab3, Hodjio Massandjo4, Albert Barro5, Timothy Harrigan6, Alex Winter-Nelson7, Robert Burdick8, Georges Anicet Ouedraogo9, and Ajit Srivastava10

1 Département de Production Animale, Laboratoire de Recherche et d’Enseignement en Santé et Biotechnologie Animales (LARESBA), Institut du Développement Rural, Université Polytechnique de Bobo-Dioulasso 01 B.P. 1091, Bobo-Dioulasso 01, Burkina Faso
2 Département de Production Animale, Laboratoire de Recherche et d’Enseignement en Santé et Biotechnologie Animales (LARESBA), Institut du Développement Rural, Université Polytechnique de Bobo-Dioulasso 01 B.P. 1091, Bobo-Dioulasso 01, Burkina Faso
3 Department of Agricultural Economics, Kansas State University, 310 Waters Hall Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
4 Department of Agricultural Economics, Kansas State University, 310 Waters Hall Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
5 Institut de l’Environnement et de Recherches Agricoles (INERA). 04 BP 8645, Ouagadougou 04, Burkina Faso
6 Department of Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, Michigan State University, 524 S. Shaw Lane #120B, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
7 Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA
8 Tillers international, 10515 OP Ave E Scotts, MI 49088, USA
9 Institute of Rural Development, Nazi Boni University, 01 PO Box 1091 Bobo-Dioulasso 01, Burkina Faso
10 Department of Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, Michigan State University, 524 S. Shaw Lane #120B, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA

Original language: English

Received 10 June 2020

Copyright © 2020 ISSR Journals. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract


Smallholder farmers are the main food providers for rural and urban people in Burkina Faso, however, they suffer from a lack of appropriate farm mechanized. The work aims to understand the current situation in regards to food security of smallholder farmers in the Hauts-Bassin Region (HBR), Appropriate-Scale Mechanization Consortium (ASMC) intervention area. Approximately 30 households per village in 32 villages totaling 946 households were surveyed. Ninety-eight percent of farmers produced maize and 34% produced vegetables for the market or family consumption. Cereal crop production per household was about 8.7 ha, 5.2 ha of which was for maize production. The average production of maize was 4300 kg per household with yields ranging from 1000 to 1700 kg/ha. Eight percent of households reported a Food Consumption Score (FCS) less than 21 (poor food consumption) while 10% reported an FCS less than 35 (borderline food consumption). However, under the standard World Food Program (WFP) scoring category, 82% of the households had acceptable food consumption score. Annual per capita food consumption expenditures in HBR varied across provinces from 45611 to 49498 CFA ($79 to $85 U.S). Although 59% of households reported having access to credit, only 42% received credit. Sixty-nine percent of households used improved high-yielding and drought-tolerant seeds. In conclusion, we determined in this study that 82% of the households had acceptable FCS. The remaining 18% of households belonging to a group of poor to borderline FCS need food assistance to improve their food situation. Therefore, formulation and implementation of food security policies targeting these vulnerable households to ensure a healthy diet are necessary. Besides, amelioration of agriculture production systems through appropriate scale mechanization will intensify sustainably while diversifying food production. Finally, a periodic food security profile study covering the various seasons' will helps understand the dynamics and implement better food security policies.

Author Keywords: Smallholder farmers, Agriculture, Maize, Food consumption score, Food security.